Sunday, October 19, 2008

Its that time of year.

Halloween in China? You best be believin' it! I have proof!

Had to see it to believe it eh? Well here it is. The Halloween section of a Target-like store here in Nanjing. And although it isn't big, it does still do a good job of representing arguably the funnest holiday around. I'm sure there are many who have no idea what this little section is even about, and those who do celebrate Halloween do not actually trick-or-treat. Too bad.


This is a scary looking insect. Scary insect . . . Halloween . . . yes they do go together.



This is a better shot of its totally sweetnesses legs!


And, of course, a guy selling hand spun cotton candy. Candy . . . Halloween . . . yes. And also I thought that you would all like to see how read-deal-holyfield cotton candy is made. Watch and learn . . . and then watch again . . . and then realize that no I didn't take a video of him actually making cotton candy because it cost 3 RMB which I didn't have. But I did have 2 RMB which I gave him for being nice and letting me take the video.
So while Halloween might not be what it is back in the States, it still has its own Chinese style charm . . . if you know where to look for it.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Why are you getting close enough to that icky worm-thing for me to see its legs? Haven't you learned from my horribly tragic experience that nasty, squishy things like that use human hosts to incubate their young.

I AM happy for you though that you were able to find a little bit of home away from home. I wonder what your neighbors would do if you showed up at their door on October 31 with a treat bag in hand and a sheet over your head, yelling "Trick or Treat!" Who knows? Maybe you would start a trend?

S&F Seminario said...

I did not even know you posted! So sad.
Dad wants to know how big the centipede thing is.
I'm sad that you won't be here so we could do our group American Gladiators Halloween costumes. Xiao Yu would have the best name: "BELLY."